The Reach Program utilizes sailing as an educational platform, challenging youth to embrace education, establish a love of learning and explore productive Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) based careers. Combining educators, sailing instructors, engineers, scientists with today’s youth to provide them with a one of a kind authentic learning experience, giving students the opportunity to apply classroom learning in a cooperative work environment. Thanks to grant from the John B. and Nelly Llanos Kilroy Foundation, US Sailing created the Reach program.
Are you thinking of starting Reach in your sailing center, yacht club, or middle school, check out “How to Start a Reach Program.”
US Sailing’s Reach program strives to engage youth and enhance career opportunities in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Environmental Stewardship through authentic learning experiences.
2013 Reach Accomplishments
- 7,500 students were impacted through the Reach program in one day programs.
- 1,300 scholarships for students in seven leading sailing centers participating in 5-7 REACH modules while learning to sail.
- 47 educators participated in the STEM Educator Course, a new course for middle school teachers and sailing instructors collaborating to implement REACH nationwide.
- Five educator courses were held connecting middle school teachers, school, and sailing centers in Florida, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and Maryland.
- The REACH monthly newsletter was sent to over 200 recipients in four countries highlighting student achievements, implementation strategies, and resources for educators.
- The REACH program was presented at the National Marine Educators Alliance Conference and New England Environmental Educators Alliance Conference introducing marine educators and scientists nationwide to the Reach program.
- Community Boating Center in Providence, RI; New England Science and Sailing, Edison Sailing Center, The Waterfront Center, and Community Boating Center of New Bedford all partnered with local schools to implement REACH in multi-session/ year- round programming using the REACH modules.
Media – Reach in the News
“The organizers of Sperry Top-Sider Charleston Race Week are pleased to offer the experience at this year’s event,” said Event Director Randy Draftz, “The REACH program is a terrific fit for our regatta. We’ll be helping teachers find a truly effective way to connect learning for their students, and ultimately, we’ll be exposing more kids to the sport of sailing.” see more at Charleston Race Week to Hold US Sailing’s STEM Educator Course, Scuttlebutt March 11th 2014-
Over 200 sailing centers and schools are currently implementing Reach in 4 countries, here are a few:
Challenge today’s youth to Reach!
Order your copy of the Reach Curriculum
Register for the new STEM Educator Course
Sign up to receive the bimonthly Reach Newsletter.